Bacteria threat in water and seafood

Print
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Monday, September 30, 2013 3:04 pm | Updated: 5:53 pm, Mon Sep 30, 2013.

SARASOTA COUNTY, FL - A bacteria called Vibrio Vulnificus is being identified in waters in the sunshine state. Responsible for infecting at least 29 people resulting in 9 deaths.

The naturally occurring bacteria can get into people though open wounds or by eating shellfish.

Sarasota County health officials say there have been no reports in Sarasota County this year. However, there was one non-fatal case in 2012 and another in 2010.

Sarasota County Epidemiologist Michael Drennon says he would not be surprised at all if the bacteria is in local waters. He says the simplest way to avoid it is to cook all seafood and if you have even a cut to stay out of the water. If you do feel like something is wrong after eating or swimming he says to act fast. "If you experience those gastrointestinal or diarrhea like symptoms you should seek medical care immediately. The quicker antibiotics are administered the quicker they will recover."

For the latest on the story tune in to ABC 7 this evening.

More about

More about

More about

Rules of Conduct

  • 1 Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
  • 2 Don't Threaten or Abuse. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated. AND PLEASE TURN OFF CAPS LOCK.
  • 3 Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
  • 4 Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
  • 5 Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
  • 6 Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.

Welcome to the discussion.

1 comment:

  • Gail H posted at 12:00 pm on Tue, Oct 1, 2013.

    Gail H Posts: 1


    ** THIS IS NOT SOMETHING TO TAKE LIGHTLY. THIS BACTERIA IS DEADLY AND IS RIGHT HERE IN OUR WATERS HERE IN ENGLEWOOD.
    IN 2005, BILL, A PASSED AWAY BOYFRIEND, CONTRACTED THIS INFECTION ON A SANDBAR UNDER THE TOM ADAMS BRIDGE. WITHIN 24 HOURS HIS SKIN BELOW HIS KNEES WAS ALL GOLF BALL PUSS POCKETS, AND IN 48 HOURS, HE WAS IN TAMPA GENERAL SIGNING TO HAVE A 3 LIMB AMPUTATION! THE DOCTORS DECIDED TO KEEP THE LIMPS AND THEN DEBREEDED ALL HIS SKIN ON BOTH LEGS FROM HIS TOES TO HIS KNEES WAS SCRAPPED OFF AND ONE HAND FROM HIS FINGER TIPS TO HIS ELBOW. HE WAS LEFT WITH TENDONS, MUSCLE AND BONES EXPOSED. 9 OPERATIONS, GRAFTING, 3 MONTHS AT TAMPA GENERAL AND OVER 1.25 million in doctor and hospital bills, he passed away after being discharged and put on hospice. This is not only just if you EAT it, Another woman had contracted the infection from shaving her legs and then going swimming.....If your at all sick, diabetic, etc PLEASE be careful in the Gulf of Mexico. I have many many pictures from beginning to end but they are quite graphic. Here is one of me learning how to wrap his legs after some of the grafting was performed....I'm only posting to make people aware. It looked somewhat like his skin was boiling, got blood red in color with lots of bubbles that filled up and then looked like his skin was going to explode. RIP Bill

     
Share your event with us >

Important Dates

 

Entertainment

pause