- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 2 ½ pounds pork belly or butt, sliced into thin, inch-long strips
- 1 tablespoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Zest of three oranges
- ¼ cup fresh squeezed orange juice
- ¼ cup fish sauce
- 2 heaping teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 dash sesame oil
- 1 medium Vidalia onion, sliced
- 4 scallions, sliced, green part only
- Broccoli Rice for serving (Whole Foods)
- Cover bottom of a large, heavy skillet with one cup sugar and place over medium low heat. As soon as it melts and turns golden, add pork, raise heat to medium, and stir until coated. (Sugar will become sticky and may harden, but it will re-melt as it cooks, forming a sauce.)
- Stir in remaining sugar, salt, pepper and fish sauce. Cover and cook 2 minutes. Uncover, stir in garlic and oil and lower to simmer to reduce sauce for about 20 minutes.
- Stir in Vidalia onions and cook until translucent, 5 to 7 minutes. Pork should be caramelized; if not, raise heat and sauté while sauce further reduces. Transfer to serving bowl, and sprinkle with extra scallion greens and zest of orange.