Adapted from Fine Cooking
4-6 servings depending on other sides.
If you are making a turkey or goose or Prime Rib, this beautiful dish is perfect as a side. All you need is a salad and a beautiful trifle for dessert. Do NOT stress if for whatever reason it does not invert properly- simply pop back in the pan and use the crust as a topping like a vegetarian root vegetable pie. Either way it is delicious.
- 1 Medium Yukon Gold Potato, peeled and sliced in ½ inch rounds
- 1 medium sweet potato peeled and sliced into ½ rounds
- 2 medium carrots peeled and sliced into ½ inch rounds’1/4 cup olive oil plus as needed
- Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper
- 1 Tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh sage
- 4 ounces goat cheese
- 1 pie crust disc
- All purpose flour for rolling
- Place rack in lower third of oven and preheat to 400 degrees F.
- Toss vegetables with olive oil and seasoning.
- Roast in oven approx.. 30 minutes until golden around the edges and tender,
- Let cool
- In a saucepan over medium heat, swirling occasionally cook sugar with 2 TBSP water until amber color, about 6 minutes. Remove from heat and Add vinegar And a pinch of salt swirl to combine.
- Quickly pour amber caramel into 9 inch cake pan, tilt and rotate bottom to evenly coast bottom
- Scatter rosemary and sage over the top
- Arrange vegetables tight together in single layers Use smaller pieces to fill in holes. Scatter onions and goat cheese over the veggies.
- Roll out 1 pie crust disc on floured table
- Drape over veggies tucking crust into pan. Prick dough all over to release steam with a fork. Bake about 20 minutes. Reduce temp to 350 and bake until brown about 20 minutes.
- Let rest 5 minutes before inverting onto a large pan.