SARASOTA (WWSB) - When I was a kid I loved that canned string beans with cream of mushroom soup casserole. As I entered Culinary School, I realized roasted root veggies or marinated roasted wild mushrooms might be better choices for cleaner eating Holiday meal.
Alton Brown really used his scientific blend this recipe to a new level. Serves 4-6
For the topping
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 Tablespoons panko bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Nonstick cooking spray
For beans and sauce
- 2 Tablespoons plus one teaspoon Kosher salt, divided
- 1 pound fresh green beans rinsed and trimmed and halved
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 12 ounces fresh button mushrooms trimmed and cut into 1/2 inch pieces Fresh ground black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 2 TBSP all purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup half and half
- Preheat the oven to 475 degrees
- Combine the onions, flour, panko and salt in a large mixing bowl and toss to combine Coat a cookie sheet with non stick cooking spray and evenly spread the onions on the pan Place the pan in the middle rack and bake until golden brown approx 30 minutes Toss the onions 2-3 times during the cooking time.
- Once done remove the oven and set aside u til ready to use Reduce oven temp to 400 degrees Prepare the beans Bring a gallon of water and 2 Tablespoons of salt to a boil in a 8 quart saucepan.
- Add beans and bleach 5 minutes. Drain in colander and immediately plunge beans into bowl of ice water.
- Drain and set aside
- Melt the butter in 12-inch cast iron pan and set over medium high heat.
- Add the mushrooms, salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally while the mushrooms
- Begin to give up some of their Iiquid. Approx 4-5 minutes.add garlic and nutmeg and continue cooking another minute
- Sprinkle the flour over the mixture and stir to be combined.
- Add broth and simmer one minute
- Decrease the heat to medium low and add the half and half, cook until the mixture thickens stirring occasionally approx 6-8 minutes
- Remove from the heat and stir in 1/4 of the onions and all the green beans, top with remaining onions place into oven and bake about 15 minutes until bubbly
- Remove and serve immediately